Awaken the Force within, using Excel’s Trace Precedents and Trace Dependents functions to identify problems in your spreadsheet formulas, or just for better understanding of what is going on there – Check it out in action here.
Geographic filtering is like an egg and spoon race… it’s exciting, guaranteed to raise eyebrows and highly likely to serve up something unexpected.
Check out the techniques used to serve up and filter geographic data in Tableau 9!
You have attempted to update Tableau Server maintenance keys but cannot do so due to lack of an internet connection. The following notes reflect my experience updating Tableau Server 8.2 product keys where the maintenance date had expired. You won’t be able to update to Tableau 9 if the maintenance keys are not within current dates. Here goes…
1. Login to the Tableau server, and run “Manage Product Keys”
2. Click on each the product key and select “Activate”
3. If you don’t have an internet connection, you will be prompted to save an activation file which will have the extension .tlq.
4. Breathe easy, it will all be over soon…
5. Go to http://www.tableau.com/support/drivers/activation and upload your tlq file. You will be prompted with a link to download an Activation file which will have the extension tlf.
6. Go to the Tableau server, open a command prompt and change directory until you are in the directory C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version>\bin
7. Copy your tlf file into a local folder on the Tableau Server e.g. c:\temp
8. Run the following command line, and for this example I will assume your folder is c:\temp and your tlf file is called Activation1.tlf.
tabadmin activate –tlf “C:\temp\activation1.tlf”
9. Still on the Tableau server, run “Manage Product Keys” as Administrator and following the instructions and you should be done.
For additional references please see here…
Thanks for reading and please vote for your current version of Tableau !
Much like a puppeteer, writing a report involves pulling the strings behind the scenes, and animating an expression to the front stage. Tableau 9 brings a bucket load of new features to the already popular reporting tool…. Introducing LEVEL of DETAIL CALCULATIONS…. my favourite new feature in Tableau 9, bringing new tricks for the puppeteer.
In PowerPivot, for this particular ranking level of detail example, you would need to carefully craft the level of detail in a DAX expression, do-able, but unless your Dad is Chris Webb, arguably much more complicated than the Tableau implementation.
Watch level of detail calculations in action here …
You have attempted to connect Tableau desktop to your PowerPivot data source and encounter the error “the drivers necessary are not installed” or “couldn’t find valid MS PowerPivot data”.
The following instructional video demonstrates how to solve both of these issues and get you running…